Since 1990 St. Martha’s Regional Hospital Foundation and its donors have been able to enhance quality health care in our community Hospital. Its number one priority: building better health care. The Foundation funds ground-breaking education, cutting-edge research, and updated medical equipment. The Foundation ensures your donations are wisely used to support these initiatives.
Mission: Committed to ensuring our hospital has the resources that support quality health and medical care.
Vision: Inspiring generosity in support of education, research and equipment that sustain the delivery of health care.
The Foundation has four main values in which it strives to achieve:
Leadership – caring and innovative volunteers dedicated to growing the Foundation
Accountability – committed to targeted growth and wise investments in efficiently and effectively utilizing each donor dollar.
Integrity – committed to the highest levels of honesty and trust within volunteers, donors and our health care community.
Teamwork – the board is committed to collective achievement of our vision and mission.
Key Dates in the History of St. Martha’s Regional Hospital
|1906||Six-bed cottage hospital opens|
|1911||Harris House is purchased and the hospital expands to 20 beds. The hospital is now on the grounds of its permanent home|
|1926||A 100-bed “state-of-the-art” brick hospital opens. St. Martha’s School of Nursing becomes affiliated with the St. Francis Xavier University permitting nursing students to obtain their Bachelor of Science Degree.|
|1932||The province’s Department of Health builds a 50-bed unit as an annex to combat TB|
|1951||The new hospital wing was opened, bringing the bed capacity to 203.|
|1957||The Department of Health closes the TB unit.|
|1989||A new 175-bed building is built using funds raised through private fundraising efforts and government funds. The old hospital is demolished.|
|1990||The hospital restructures to house 75 beds as a result of cutbacks in government funding and a change in the way hospital services are delivered.|
|1996||The Eastern Regional Health Board assumes responsibility of the facility from the Sisters of St. Martha. A Mission Assurance Agreement is signed by the Sisters of St. Martha, the Eastern Regional Health Board and the Department of Health, ensuring the Catholic identity of St. Martha’s Regional Hospital.|
|2001||The Eastern Regional Health Board is dissolved and district health authorities are formed. The Guysborough Antigonish Strait Health Authority assumes responsibility for the administration of the hospital.|